Are you our next Director of Programs? Or do you know a person who is the perfect fit for Literacy KC?
Literacy KC’s mission is to advance literacy among Kansas City area adults through direct service, advocacy and collaboration. Our vision is “literacy for all.” Literacy KC offers adults and their families a welcoming community to develop and enhance literacy skills and quality of life.
We take a community literacy approach to teaching adult students. Through an innovative social learning model, lead instructors are supported by a team of tutors in each dynamic classroom setting offered in partner locations throughout the metro area. This fulltime position is a busy workweek and requires some night and weekend work.
The Director of Programs will have strategic and operational responsibility for all student programs while providing leadership to student-centered program staff. Director of Programs will work with the Executive Director to ensure that the organizational goals and objectives are accomplished within the prescribed time and funding parameters, while student services remain the highest priority. This person will work with volunteer and outreach services to streamline volunteer experience and coordinate community engagement and recruitment efforts, as well as manage partner site relationships. Director of Programs will engage in ongoing research into best and promising practices, focusing on the maintenance and improvement of programming, while striving to grow programs in order to increase the number of clients served, which will include grant writing support for the development team. While it is essential that Literacy KC achieves efficient and effective systems to increase the productivity of the organization, it is also critical that the team retain the creative spark that drives the organization’s concepts and allows it to continue to be a dynamic organization.
Provide effective and inspiring leadership by being actively involved in all programs and services, developing a broad and deep knowledge of all programs
Identify opportunities for Literacy KC to leverage cross-program strengths to take advantage of new opportunities and/or to address organizational challenges
Ensure that all program activities operate consistently and ethically within the mission and values of Literacy KC
Lead the performance management process that measures and evaluates progress against goals for the organization
Lead, coach, develop, supervise, and retain Literacy KC’s student affairs/programs team with an emphasis on developing capacity and improving the student experience
Provide core program oversight through management of all outcome measurement data including but not limited to program participation, student achievement and volunteer assessment. Provide progress reports (including recommended changes) to program and administrative staff and Board to promote a collaborative work environment
Direct/oversee all aspects of core program delivery including but not limited to orientation, assessment and training; coordinate staff schedules to ensure program coverage and provide back up support when needed
Provide programmatic leadership and input for strategic plan implementation processes with the Executive Director and staff
Coach program staff as they implement the strategic plan
Oversee partner/satellite site strategy, including site identification, MOUs, communications, etc.
Supervise the AmeriCorps VISTA program
Partner with Instructional Team Leader to supervise the Let’s Read program
Supervise the math program and strategize its growth
Supervise the Career Online High School program
Partner with digital literacy staff to integrate and supervise successful delivery of digital literacy program.
Lead student recruitment efforts
Act as student programs representative to the Board of Directors through Program Committee participation and the provision of monthly reports
Oversee interns or other temporary program staff who come to Literacy KC through partner programs
Create and promote a positive work environment through teamwork mentality and creative problem-solving
Other duties as assigned COMMUNITY OUTREACH
Promote Literacy KC and work with Volunteer and Outreach Coordinator to develop community outreach programs through a variety of means including, but not limited to, community presentations and written materials
Network with peer organizations and/or government agencies to foster collaborative relationships
Create referral relationships with complementary organizations to develop a coordination of services in order to meet students’ needs GRANT/FUNDING MANAGEMENT
Partner with Executive Director and Chief Development Officer to align programming, budget and fund development plans strategically to enhance and grow programs
Prepare project reports to assist with development of grant and/or contract reports as needed
Support development staff in grant writing efforts
1. Must believe in the core values of Literacy KC and be driven by the mission
2. Ability to think strategically, anticipate future consequences and trends, and incorporate them into the organizational plan
3. Ability to effectively build staff capacity and the processes that ensure the organization runs smoothly
4. Exceptional capacity for managing and leading people; a team builder with an ability to connect staff both on an individual level and in large groups; capacity to enforce accountability, develop and empower leaders from the bottom up, and learn the strengths and weaknesses of the team so as to put people in a position to succeed
5. Enjoys working hard and looks for challenges; able to act and react as necessary, even if limited information is available; not afraid to take charge of a situation; can overcome resistance to leadership and take unpopular stands when necessary
6. Bachelor’s degree in related field; Master’s degree preferred
7. Extensive mastery in writing and reading
8. Interpersonal skills to work with individuals at various levels and from various backgrounds
9. Proven program management and development experience
10. Ability to take ownership of programs/projects
11. Current knowledge of literacy education
12. Demonstrated time management and efficiency skills
13. Proven dependability
14. PC proficient; MS Office and extensive data management experience
15. Honesty; ability to manage confidential information and financial resources
1. Master’s degree in related field
2. Missouri state AEL certification
3. Reading specialist certification
4. Documented leadership experience
5. Experience working with adult multi-level learners, including those with physical, mental, or learning disabilities
Reports To: Executive Director
Supervises: Program Coordinator(s), Student Coordinator(s), Volunteer Manager
For additional information email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 816-333-9332.